Matt Foreman has been involved in Olympic weightlifting since the late 1980s. After beginning his competitive career as a junior athlete in Arizona, he was recruited to join the Calpian Weightlifting Club in Washington in 1993. As a member of the Calpians, coached by the legendary John Thrush, Matt rose through the ranks to become one of the best weightlifters in the United States in the +105 kg weight class, winning medals at top national championship meets for over ten years. Still competitive as a masters athlete, he continues into his third decade as an Olympic weightlifter.
All the years of experience on the platform have given Coach Foreman an uncommon level of skill and understanding in the coaching realm. He has been a coach almost as long as a competitor, producing athletes who have competed at all national championship levels from youth to master, along with teaching countless clinics and seminars. A prolific writer, he has also published three books on the sport of weightlifting, along with hundreds of articles.
In addition to national competition, Coach Foreman has produced dozens of local, state, and regional championships throughout his coaching career.
Several of Coach Foreman’s athletes have won gold, silver, and bronze medals at these top national competitions.
Olympic Weightlifting Teacher/Lecturer/Writer (since 1991)
- Coaching Clinic Director at multiple schools, private gyms, and CrossFit gyms.
- Director of Coaching Certification with Iron Athlete, LLC.
- Featured Lecturer at the United States Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.Political/Administrative Experience in Olympic Weightlifting (since 1994)
Political/Administrative Experience in Olympic Weightlifting (since 1994)
- Athletes Representative for the State of Washington (1994-2004)
- USA Weightlifting Board of Governors Member (1994-2000)
- Member-At-Large for Arizona Weightlifting Federation (2016-present
Weightlifting coach (23 years)
- Currently employed as head weightlifting coach at Core CrossFit in Phoenix, AZ
- Currently employed as coach, seminar lecturer, and coaching certification director with Iron Athlete, LLC.
- 20+ years coaching experience with various programs in Arizona and Washington (high school, collegiate, private sector)
- Produced multiple national/international competitors in both Olympic weightlifting and powerlifting
English teacher (21 years)- Mountain View High School (Mesa, AZ)
- Football coach- 10 years
- Track and Field coach- 20 years
Published author (10+ years)
- Author of three books:
- Bones of Iron: Collected Articles on the Life of the Strength Athlete
- Olympic Weightlifting for Masters: Training at 30, 40, 50 and Beyond
- Olympic Weightlifting Programming for Masters
- Featured article contributor with Catalyst Athletics (7 years)
- Several articles published in various other magazines and journals in the fields of Olympic weightlifting, strength training, and track and field
- Author of three books:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Secondary Education
- Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership
- Certified USA Weightlifting Coach
- Certified Iron Athlete Coach
- Competitive weightlifter since 1988
- Two-time National University Weightlifting Champion
- Five-time American Open medalist
- Four-time National Championship medalist
- High School National Champion
- Two-time American Masters Champion
- 2004 Olympic Trials competitor
- 2000 World University Championship Team USA member
- 2000 National Team Championship
- Multiple state record holder
Best official lifts:
90 kg class- 120 kg Snatch, 150 kg Clean and Jerk
99 kg class- 135 kg Snatch, 165 kg Clean and Jerk
105 kg class- 142.5 kg Snatch, 175 kg Clean and Jerk
+105 kg class- 155 kg Snatch, 185 kg Clean and Jerk
All results 100% drug-free.
You can follow Matt’s writing here:
His books can be found here: